CDC Issues Eviction Moratorium; NAR Opposes
September 9, 2020
This moratorium applies to all rental units. For a renter to be eligible for relief, they must self-certify under penalty of perjury that they meet the following criteria:
- Have used best efforts to obtain all available government assistance for rent or housing;
- Expect to earn no more than $99k (individual) or $198k (joint) in 2020; OR was not required to report income in 2019; OR received an Economic Impact Payment from the CARES Act;
- Are unable to pay the full rent or housing payment due to substantial loss of household income, loss of hours, lay-off, or extraordinary medical expenses;
- Are using best efforts to make timely partial payments; AND
- Eviction would likely renter them homeless or force to move into close quarters in congregate or shared living settings due to no other housing options.
NAR has published a summary of the order issued by the CDC. Following the pre-release of the order, NAR issued a statement, that the order would "bring chaos to our nation’s critical rental housing sector and put countless property owners out of business.” In addition, NAR joined with our industry partners to urge Congress to pass immediate rental assistance.
More action is coming on this issue. NAR will fight to protect our nation's more than 48 million rental units and their property owners.
More from News
SCOTUS rules for housing providers, CDC’s latest extension...
August 27, 2021
The U.S. Supreme Court ended the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC’s) eviction...
NAR Issues Statement on Supreme Court's CDC Eviction Ban...
June 30, 2021
Supreme Court Rules for Housing Providers in Eviction Moratorium Fight
GSEs' Regulator Limits 2nd Home, Investor Loans, and Loans...
March 31, 2021
A brief explanation of the changes at the GSEs that affect second homes and NAR's efforts to...
REALTORS® Weigh In on Independent Contractor Proposed Rule
November 6, 2020
In late September, the Department of Labor issued a notice of proposed rulemaking revising it's...
2020 Elections Review: Celebration or Post-mortem
November 6, 2020
The 2020 General Elections have come and, well, are still going. After a very hard fought election...
SBA To Begin Processing PPP Forgiveness Applications
October 9, 2020
The U.S. Treasury Department has announced that the Small Business Association (SBA) will begin...